Town of North Salem moves to add electric vehicle charging station


Photo by Kindel Media

The North Salem Town Board will vote Tuesday to authorize the installation of an electric vehicle charging station at Town Hall. If approved, the station, which can accommodate two vehicles, is likely to be installed this summer.

The station is a Level 2 charging station, which adds about 25 miles of range per hour. Nearly every new electric vehicle can connect to the same Level 2 charger (Teslas are an exception, and require a proprietary connector). More than 3 in 4 public chargers are Level 2 chargers, according to NerdWallet.

Town Supervisor Warren Lucas said that the Town is also considering adding similar charging stations in the Croton Falls parking lot. “We are looking at options there now but nothing has been determined yet,” he said.

The cost for the unit and installation is $2,400, which Lucas said he anticipates will pay for itself over time. The Town will get 75% of the revenue from the station, with the remaining 25% going to the vendor, ChargeSmart EV.

I'm interested
I disagree with this
This is unverified