Planning Board to hold public informational meeting at new Croton Falls Community Center
The Planning Board for the Town of North Salem will present its draft Croton Falls Master Plan Saturday during a public informational meeting to be held at 10:00 a.m. at the new Community Center in Croton Falls. Lauren Rosasco, superintendent of recreation for the Town of North Salem, will lead a walkthrough tour of the Community Center prior to the meeting at 9:00 a.m.
The meeting is intended to provide community members with an opportunity to provide their feedback before the Planning Board submits their final recommendation to the Town Board. The Croton Falls Master Plan is a supplement to the town’s Comprehensive Plan, which sets a long-range vision for the town (the town last adopted a Comprehensive Plan in 2011).
“Planning was tasked with preparing this supplement that focuses on the hamlet [of Croton Falls], establishes a vision and direction based upon the needs and priorities of its residents and makes recommendations on how to implement those goals,” the planning board said in a note posted on the town website.
Recommendations in the preliminary draft include:
- Eliminate antiquated zoning uses in favor of supporting current land use circumstances
- Implement currently drafted zoning amendments around lighting, landscaping and signage and consider hamlet design guidelines and standards
- Protect environmental resources, water quality and rural setting
- Strengthen historic identity of the hamlet
- Protect hamlet image and appearance
- Slow traffic speeds, provide safe pedestrian crossings and improve traffic flow
- Enhance existing and create new non-commuter parking within the business district
- Provide up-to-date infrastructure
- Invest in sound water supply and sewer improvements
- Identify and support energy efficiency and sustainable design principles
Full text of the preliminary plan can be viewed here and here (appendices)
Community members who wish to attend are encouraged to RSVP to email@example.com or call the Town office at 914-669-5661 (Dawn Onufrik). Those who are unable to attend in person can watch via livestream.
North Salem approves purchase of former Schoolhouse Theater building
Community center or community theater? Mixed messages about plans for 3 Owens Road property.
The Town Board and the Recreation Department will host a ribbon cutting ceremony at the Community Center also on Saturday, at 2:00 p.m. The first significant use of the building will be for The Schoolhouse Theater’s performance of “Red,” which will run on select Fridays and weekends from April 14 through April 30. For The Schoolhouse, the Town Board waived requirements that theater usage may not exceed six weekend days per month.